Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Newest Experiment: Dragon!

My newest crocheted friend
I was wandering my local craft store when I found this wonderful skein of Caron Simply Soft yarn in the clearance aisle. It had beautiful shades of brown and flecks of light blue. I immediately thought of a calico cat, but after I got home with it and started on a head and body, it was clear something else was emerging. Was it a dinosaur? An alligator? No, I as the rows went on it was clear--I had a dragon on my hands.

Googly "frog eyes" blend in nicely with the addition of eyelids and I had a great time arranging and re-arranging different sizes of head and tail spikes until I got what I wanted. Getting mirrored wings was also a difficulty, but I think it worked out nicely.

He is by far the largest amigurumi project I have ever attempted, and I had a blast with the details. The mouth, teeth, wings, spikes, even the edging on the belly was a treat to create! He has a big, white belly and I keep imagining ways to embellish it. I'm thinking maybe I'll embroider some beads on it in the shape of a flame. I want to find new ways to integrate crochet with other crafts!

Hit the jump for some more photos. Don't expect him in my shop any time soon... I think I have to hold onto him for a while.







1 comment: