Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: 201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects, and Ideas

Purchase it here on Amazon
I am a self-taught crocheter, and therefore I have a special attachment to crochet books. I have been through a lot of them. Some good, some bad, some boring, some inspiring, some simple, some indecipherable. 201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas by Melody Griffiths (2007, CICO Books, New York) is one of the best. It has tons of basic shapes, quilt squares, flowers, motifs, even the whole alphabet! And if you have so much inspiration in your head at once you can't even get started, there is a chapter of project ideas that utilize patterns from throughout the book.

To simplify things, here are my top ten favorite things about this book:

  1. "201" isn't just a number made up by some ad man! Your fingers will fall off before you run out of things to do in this book.
  2. Multiple uses suggested for patterns in the projects section. You get endless possibilities!
  3. Easy-to-read patterns and instructions with relevant glossaries on the same page as the patterns. Easy to find and simple.
  4. Pattern diagrams. I'm a visual learner, so having the diagram along with the words of the pattern is wonderful! Especially with some of the more complex patterns.
  5. A range of difficulty among the patterns. From a 5-minute flower to an all-weekend project, I can always find something to fit my needs.
  6. Its value as a reference. "Gee, I'd really like to make a pattern for a ______. How do I make the basic shapes I need?" Look it up in this book, it has any shape you could want!
  7. Multiple techniques and stitches used. Can you crochet in a bow? I can now!
  8. Variety of flowers. Flat, three dimensional, tiny, huge, doily-style, flashy, a flower for every project!
  9.  Really nice index. I know this sounds boring, but I can't stress this enough. How am I supposed to find anything if your book has no index?
  10. Beautiful stitch guide. Need a refresher on the bobble stitch? Check out the slick illustrated stitch guide!


Here are the top ten things I dislike:

  1. No amigurumi. I guess no one can be perfect.
  2. Relative difficulty of the patterns is not indicated--you can get in over your head!
  3. Too awesome
  4. ....Nope, that's it. I love this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment